GRAPE DECORATIONS FOR THE KITCHEN : FOR THE KITCHEN
GRAPE DECORATIONS FOR THE KITCHEN : FIREPLACE DECORATING PICTURES
Grape Decorations For The Kitchen
- (decorate) make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.; "Decorate the room for the party"; "beautify yourself for the special day"
- The process or art of decorating or adorning something
- A thing that serves as an ornament
- (decorate) deck: be beautiful to look at; "Flowers adorned the tables everywhere"
- (decorate) award a mark of honor, such as a medal, to; "He was decorated for his services in the military"
- a room equipped for preparing meals
- The Custard Factory is an arts and media production centre in Birmingham, England .
- A room or area where food is prepared and cooked
- A set of fixtures, cabinets, and appliances that are sold together and installed in such a room or area
- grapeshot: a cluster of small projectiles fired together from a cannon to produce a hail of shot
- any of numerous woody vines of genus Vitis bearing clusters of edible berries
- A berry, typically green (classified as white), purple, red, or black, growing in clusters on a grapevine, eaten as fruit, and used in making wine
- A dark purplish red color
- any of various juicy fruit of the genus Vitis with green or purple skins; grow in clusters
Lyndhurst Estate, Tarrytown, New York
Lyndhurst was designed in 1838 by Alexander Jackson Davis, one of the first of a series of his designs which came to be known as "Hudson River Gothic." The Gothic Revival villa was built of brick faced with white Ossining marble for William Paulding, and was probably modelled on Lowther Castle in England. The original house, which now comprises the southern end of the building, was basically cruciform in plan, with an east-west axis extending on the first floor from the entrance porch through a hall and into the salon which looks out through beautiful diamond-lighted sash windows over the Tappan Zee. This axis is two—and—a—half stories high with a steep gable roof with finialed gable ends.
The north-south axis intersected symmetrically with the other axis at the central hall. To the south of the hall was a large drawing room, and to the north were the dining room, an office and the stair tower, on the northeast corner of the house. The second floor was divided generally into bedrooms, except for the library, which extended the length of the central hall and the salon on the first floor. To the east of the library, above the porch, was the master bedroom. The interior woodwork of the original and the later portions of the house is remarkable for its intricacy; each detail was designed by Davis himself and executed by Richard Byrnes, the Irish cabinetmaker, including Gothic furniture. The exterior of the house is characterised by the Gothic features such as; turrets, bays, finials, butresses, trefoils, stone traceries, and crenellations. Wooden porches ran the length of the south and west sides of the building.
In 1864-65, Davis returned to enlarge the house for its second owner, George Merritt, a New York City merchant. The architect's effect on the house, now called Lyndhurst, resulted in a sacrifice of the symmetry for a more elaborate and picturesque asymmetry. The roof was raised a story along the north-south axis; a wing which housed a new dining room and pantry was added on the north end of the house; adjoining the wing at its juncture with the original house on the west, a four story tower was erected; and on the east, an elegant port-cochere was added onto the porch entrance, which was converted into a vestibule and library.
Davis continued to reflect the detailed exterior in the intricacy of the interior decoration. The new dining room, with its great mullioned bay windows, is notable for its walls, which were carefully painted and sanded to simulate marble. The first floor hall is papered with canvas which has been painted to simulate ashlar stonework. This hall was also covered with a new marble floor in 1865. The varied treatment of the ceilings in the house's 16 rooms includes in most of the principal chambers, rib vaulting or haunched beams carried on corbels.
The basement of the house is divided into kitchen, pantry and storage area. The slate roof has been replaced in part recently with lead-coated copper plates.
After his mansion was enlarged and remodeled, George Merritt next turned his attention to the grounds. Approximately 20 acres were drained and laid out in lawns, an acre and a half was appropriated for a grape arbor, while vegetable gardens were also planted and bordered with fruit trees. To the northeast of
the house Merritt had a 400' long, U-shaped glass and iron frame greenhouse erected. This building, which was dominated by a 100' tower surmounted by a glass cupola burned to the ground in 1880. By the summer of 1881, Gould, who had only recently acquired the property, had Lord and Burnham, the original builders, construct a similar greenhouse with the same dimensions, which later housed Gould's extensive orchid collection. This building is presently only partially restored. Behind the greenhouse is a long, narrow complex of potting and seed rooms which date from both the first and second greenhouse.
Across the grounds, to the southeast of the house is the stable complex, a U-shaped collection of carriage sheds, stables, and the coach house. The exteriors and portions of the interiors of these brick and frame structures are presently being restored. The old coachman's cottage is just to the east of this complex and is in a dilapidated state. To the east of this is a former kennel, built for Gould's sons, which is now converted into a caretaker's residence. A children's playhouse, the Rose Cottage, is located southeast of the main house, just north of the stables.
Situated at the entrances of the two driveways are the gardener's cottage at the north entrance, and the gatehouse at the main entrance. These two-story stone houses have slate tiled hip roofs, and are presently used as residences. Just west of the gardener's cottage is the more recent swimming pool, which is housed in a glassroofed brick structure. It is presently not in use.
Alongside the mansion to the north is the Laundry/Guest Cottage, This long-rectangular
That Feeling of Christmas
See the Christmas Decor and Feel the richness of Christmas at the Shabby Chic Christmas Store in Gemella
Kitchen, living room, decorations, presents - wrapping paper - don't miss everything to set the tone for Christmas
retro wedding decor
the little mermaid party decorations
decorating a princess room
mexican restaurant decoration
interior decorating ideas for small spaces
decorative wall lettering
western bathroom decorations
cowboy hat decorations
country star kitchen decor
FIRST COMMUNION TABLE DECORATIONS : FIRST COMMUNION « HOME » HOUSE DECORATING BLOG : DECORATING BLOG
Post a comment